Mrs. Stacy McDonald has given me permission to share something with you from her wonderful book, Raising Maidens of Virtue.
These 5 tips have been very helpful to me, and since most of my readers - well, the ones who comment, anyway - are young women, I thought this would be appropriate and possibly even help or encourage you, as it has me. :)
5 Practical Tips for Guarding Your Maidenly Heart
- Read God's Word and pray every day. Specifically ask God to help you guard your heart. Pray for your father to make wise decisions regarding your future.
- Avoid romance novels or discussions with other maidens regarding boys. When discussing your future role as a wife and mother, focus on preparing yourself biblically for your vocation. Keep away from discussions about romance, wedding fantasies, or eligible young men (whether they are godly or not).
- Avoid being alone with a young man. It is best to fellowship while under the protection of your parents, within the environment of the home and family.
- Avoid fantasizing about who might be "Mr. Right". Stay on guard, especially when you sense that you may be attracted to a young man (or that he may be attracted to you). Remember your goal is to stay pure for the one you marry, both physically and emotionally.
- Talk to your parents about your feelings. Let them know when you need prayer in a specific area. God has placed them over you for your protection - trust them and Him.
I hope this was helpful! :)