Thursday, July 28, 2011

Interesting Anecdotes in the Life of Me

There! That's a good one. I'm trying to work on thinking up good post titles. This one fits that bill rather well. :D Post titles, to me, are the most difficult part of writing a blog post... how do you express the heart and summarize all the points of a wonderful article in that short amount of space?

(Anecdote: a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident) 


Anyway, for the first interesting anecdote... my mother has figured out that we save time, money, gas, and energy by only going grocery shopping once a month. So yesterday we made our monthly trip to the great world of groceries and stocked up on everything we will need for the month. Whew! It was a very hot day and it seemed like it took a really long time to get the groceries all loaded into the back of the van... but in reality it only took me, my mom, and one of my brothers 2 hours to buy all our groceries for a WHOLE MONTH. :) We take a special trip back to town whenever meat is on sale to buy it then, which saves even more money - meat is so expensive at full price! And occasionally we will hop back to the store about half-way-through the month to procure a few more fresh fruits and vegetables. But with all the produce we've been getting from our garden that hasn't been necessary the past few months! :D

As for the second intersting anecdote...  


 I've been reading Persuasion by Jane Austen over again. My favorite movie adaptation of this book is the version starring Amanda Root as Anne and Ciaran Hinds as Captain Frederick Wentworth.
 Love that scene ^ where Captain Wentworth unexpectedly enters the confectionery(?) shop in which Anne is taking shelter from the rain.

Look at the pair of them... they just are Anne and Capt. Wentworth!

Confession: I have always wanted to write a letter or journal entry with a *real* quill pen. Like the beautiful one Anne uses in the movie.
 I watched the movie with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones as well, but it just wasn't the same. the supporting actors weren't as amusing and it was not as true to the book as my favorite version.
 The only slight disappointment for me in the movie is "The Kiss" ergo, the proposal scene. The background was all wrong... a busy street with a circus parading by! In the book, if I remember correctly and will rediscover quite shortly, Captain Wentworth takes Anne into a garden or something and they are quite alone when she indicates by "a word, a look" (or more) that she accepts his offer of marriage.
 Sigh - and that long nearly 8-year separation was all the fault of that annoying Lady Russell! ;) She had the best of intentions but couldn't have been more ill-advising!

Well, I was going to write a bit more and include pictures of the green beans and tomatoes we've been getting from the garden, but that will have to wait for now. Stay tuned! :D

 We will be having a busy Friday as we're visiting a homeschool convention in Altanta for the day and going to Frisbee on the way back home, but on Friday morning make sure you check out the devotional post I wrote for Meditations of His Love!

(and Pssst - there's a giveaway over at Practically Pink for flexi-8 hair clips! And one at Virtuous Girlhood for a curling iron.)

Have a blessed and beautiful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, are you going to the home-school expo? So are we!

    Hope to see you there~
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! :) I love both the blogs you write for. Have fun at the expo!!

    ~Mrs. H.
    "A Future & A Hope"

    www.acorkerslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope you are having an absolutely wonderful day. :)

Please remember to keep your thoughts and remarks kind and pleasing in the sight of our Lord.

I would encourage you to sign your name to your comments... otherwise it might not be published.

If you have a question you would like to ask me, feel free to leave me your email address - it will not be published - and I will try to answer or help as best as I can. :)

Sometimes it takes me a little while to get back to you... but I do try and reply when I get a comment. :D

Love & Blessings!
~ Julia ~