Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Perfectly Unique: A Review


Author Annie F. Downs Presents a Book for Young Women About the Power of their Individuality
perfectly unique
Author Annie F. Downs is passionate about today’s young women. So much so that she has channeled her enthusiasm in her thought-provoking debut book, PERFECTLY UNIQUE: Praising God from Head to Foot (Zondervan; $9.99; September 2012), which aims to help young women ages 13 to 18 build their self-esteem, value their individuality, and worship their Creator with the qualities He gave them.
Citing examples from her own life and drawing from the experiences of friends and other loved ones, Downs injects empathy and candor into her writing, establishing a connection to her audience by using a unique mix of engaging personal anecdote and honest discussions about life, resulting in a book that feels like a conversation with a best friend.


What I thought:
I don't read much non-fiction, but I was expecting this book to be just another echo of the self-help books out there that are written for teen girls. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book was refreshingly different and I loved Annie's down-to-earth, practical, but hilarious writing voice.

I want to go through the book again with a highlighter and use this alongside my other Bible studying program. I've personally never had a problem with loving myself (my issues tend more towards pride, sadly) but there are sound truths laid out in an easily digestible buffet in this friendly little book.

Besides all this, there are fun goodies in the back of the book - delicious recipes for the author's fave snacks! I can't wait to try a couple of those. :D

I would highly recommend this book to any of my gal-friends - that part of the text up there I highlighted in pink is exactly the truth. This book reads like a conversation with a fun friend.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope you are having an absolutely wonderful day. :)

Please remember to keep your thoughts and remarks kind and pleasing in the sight of our Lord.

I would encourage you to sign your name to your comments... otherwise it might not be published.

If you have a question you would like to ask me, feel free to leave me your email address - it will not be published - and I will try to answer or help as best as I can. :)

Sometimes it takes me a little while to get back to you... but I do try and reply when I get a comment. :D

Love & Blessings!
~ Julia ~