Friday, June 20, 2008

Blackberries, Part 2

Yes, that is what you think it is. JAM! After I had accumulated several containers of blackberries we made a batch of blackberry jam. Oh wow. If you think blackberries are yummy, you will melt over this jam. It is the last word in deliciousness.

This is the canner, the huge pot we boil the jars of jam in to make the sweet stuff 'jell'. (I couldn't load the pictures in the order I took them so just bear with me) :)
above you can see a picture of Mama picking up a boiling jar of water. The cookie monster was helping as well in the bottom right corner. (haha) :D
There's a better view of the jar and steam from boiling water.
after stirring up the blackberry juice liquid and boiling it in a pot of water we ladled it into jars that had been boiled in the canning pot.
Mama has a handy little funnel-thingy she uses to fill the jars with the sticky, sweet Jam.

Here are blackberries in the sink, being washed for jam preparation.
A handful of blackberries, oh so plump and juicy.
Here's a close-up, you can see how huge they are...that was one of the average ones. Some are bigger than that.
Here my brother Mark is using the food mill to strain out some of the blackberry seeds...you know, the ones that get stuck in your teeth....
Here's Mama stirring the jam mixture...

I just realized I didn't take a picture of the finished jam, with lids. We do put lids on! :) We also made blueberry jam, and a blueberry post looms in the near future...
I love canning! I have a lot of old-fashioned hobbies. Quilting, Crocheting, Canning, Sewing, and all sorts of things!
Let me know if you like one of these hobbies as well!
Julia


9 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! My mother and my sister and I would love to learn how to can.

    Bethany from
    Polished Cornerstone

    P.S. Thanks for the comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Julia!

    Oh yes, I totally agree that yesterday was absolutely wonderful! I enjoyed it so much. Justus, Sarah, Dad, and Mom did, also. :o)

    Glad you liked the strawberry dessert. I still think your word to describe it should be added to the dictionary... :o) I thought dinner was really yummy!

    Especially wonderful was your company. You're are such a fun, sweet person to be around. And thank you so much for the earrings - beautiful!

    I'll send the strawberry thingy recipe probably tomorrow. Have to run eat dinner now...

    Hope to see you again soon!
    Love,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOKS DELICIOUS, JULIA!! Can I have some?!? :-)
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee-hee, well, sorry Brianna, but the blackberries are so hard to pick and we only have one batch of jam so far (7 jars) that my dad said we weren't giving any away even if the president of the United States asked for it! :) but I'd love to give you some if I was allowed and I had some clue of where you lived. :)
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna, you are so sweet!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! It might be werid, but LOVE the pot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia,

    Thanks for the comment on my blog! Your jam looks delicous!! Are you guys planning another get together with the families yet? I hope so!
    McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! What a small world! Just crazy.

    I see that our families have many things in common. My sister Emily and I used to play with Legos all the time, and we enjoy crocheting, hand sewing...I'm working on a quilt...we've made baskets...canned...!

    The 'Thankful Thursday' sounds like a good idea - I'll try that sometime. Your blog is lovely and I'm enjoying the music on the side bar. Do you mind if I link you on my side bar?

    I've read "Before You Meet Prince Charming." It's been such a help in my walk with the Lord. My sister, cousin and I got to meet Grace Malley at a homeschool convention.

    I'm glad we "discovered" each other through Kate. The Father Daughter retreat sounds so good!

    Blessings,
    -Breezy

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Those look so yummy! MY mouth is watering! I love blackberries! :) Have a great day!
    Love,
    Laney

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope you are having an absolutely wonderful day. :)

Please remember to keep your thoughts and remarks kind and pleasing in the sight of our Lord.

I would encourage you to sign your name to your comments... otherwise it might not be published.

If you have a question you would like to ask me, feel free to leave me your email address - it will not be published - and I will try to answer or help as best as I can. :)

Sometimes it takes me a little while to get back to you... but I do try and reply when I get a comment. :D

Love & Blessings!
~ Julia ~