Monday, November 12, 2012

I'm Back! :D Julia's Journal is alive once more.

Hello, one and all!

I was delighted to find this new blog background on TheCutestBlogOnTheBlock.com and designed myself a header to go along! :) What do you think of the new look? It's not quite finished yet, I have many finishing touches to make...

There's a new About page to check out if you'd like. :)

I've grown tired of not being able to customize my Wordpress.com blog at all (besides a header and background image) and have made my peace with the new Blogger post-writing box. I've decided to write on this blog regularly for now, although I certainly enjoyed the Wordpress experiment and am grateful to have learned my way around there.

So, I thought I would share a few things that have been on my heart lately.

America has been in my prayers more than usual, due to the recent presidential election results. But I still have faith in my great big God and I trust in his perfect will, although we had several long conversations the day after November 6th. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about it all, because I could never handle it. HE can. And for that, I am beyond grateful.

Writing has taken up a good chunk of my free time lately, because I decided on October 31st to try NaNoWriMo for the first time (National Novel Writing Month) and am working on book 2 of my agents series! Here are a few excerpts for you...

________________________________________________
 
The pizza parlor swarmed with agents and policemen working together, collecting evidence and screening the people who had been inside when the ruckus ensued. They’d hustled Merkochaz into a bulletproof ambulance and the body of the dead guard had been taken away.
“Bryce, I’m surprised at you.” Benny’s coffee-colored face gave nothing away. Not even a twitch of his moustache betrayed whatever he might be thinking.
“Sir?”
“You did exactly the right thing, but I’m shocked that you had the guts.” Benny thumbed his nose. “Most newbies flinch at using their firepower during situations that aren’t going according to plan.”
Bryce blinked, eyes still stinging from the charcoal and ash specks. “I felt that it was what I had to do, Sir.”
“I have to say, I’m impressed. You ‘burned through the ashes’, so to speak, to see right to the heart of that scenario.” A smile creased Benny’s face. “Which brings me to your new code name.”
“My… new…” Code name?
“Ashburn.” Benny nodded. “Yep. That’s it. Ashburn.”
Bryce rolled the name around in his mind. Ashburn. He laughed. “I like it!” 
Benny grinned. “It’s yours. I’ll put it on file when I get back to IFP.” He slapped Bryce on the back and walked off to bark some orders at some of the agents collecting evidence in the kitchen.
Ashburn. It would be a reminder for the rest of his days of how he’d followed that inner voice. But he hadn’t done it perfectly. He’d gotten ashes thrown in his face because he had been caught off guard.
I will never let myself get caught off guard again.
________________________________________________

Penny pressed the tissue to her eyes, which were swollen from crying all night long. The morning sunlight streamed through her bedroom window, highlighting tiny dust motes that danced in the air like a mist of fireflies over a meadow.
The piercing grief had dropped on her like a boulder last night, knocking her flat on her back. It came out of nowhere after leaving her in peace for months. She wondered when it would finally end for good, but at the same time, dreaded that day. Would she ever come to forget him?
She brushed a lock of russet-auburn hair from her forehead. Maybe the weeping had been triggered by her best friend’s news. Cara’s engagement was a wonderful event, but for Penny had been shadowed with reminders of what could have been… for her.
________________________________________________

Anyway. :) I'm excited and I think this book might even be better than the first one, which still awaits editing. :D

I'd love to hear from you if you're reading this post, I'm curious to see if I still have any followers...

Blessings!

7 comments:

  1. Hey! No worries, you still have followers! ;D

    Oh, what a fun new design! Sorry Wordpress didn't work out as well as you'd like it to have. I know, I didn't like the new blogger at first but I quickly got adjusted to it and I'm sure you will too. ;)

    Yes, last week was really hard with the elections. I'm so glad to have godly sisters in Christ and my dear parents to bring my perspective back on the Lord's Sovereignty in it all! :)

    Those are some neat pieces from your book! I'm so glad the NaNoWriMo is going well for you - keep it up! You can do it!!! {{hugs}}

    Love you & Praying for you! :)
    ~Rachel~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have followers?! *sniff* How wonderful! :D Thanks for taking the time to comment, Rachel!

    Aw, Rachel, that encouragement from you means so much. You're a dear! Now I feel like going and writing! :D And I will email you back about my book 1 very soon, I've just been busy! :P

    Thank you!! Praying for you too!
    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julia! I'm so glad to see you back! Ok, you HAVE to get both of these books published! I NEED to read them! You have a wonderful writing style from what I've seen, and I loved your pinterest boards about your book characters. It makes me want to read about the characters all the more!

    a very curious and devoted reader as well as fellow writer,
    Kristen
    http://trueelegance92.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still following! :) And btw...if you happen to still want to...I'd love to see you make more blog backgrounds! Yours are still my favorites ever. :)

    Oh, and? Like that story! Great excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen,

    I'm thrilled that you're so interested in reading my books! :D It's so encouraging!

    Charity! Nice to hear from you! I'll have to think about making some more blog backgrounds... that would be fun. I've got some winter ones I never got around to releasing and now would be the perfect time, ay? :D

    Thanks for the comments, girls, it really made my day! :D

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julia!
    I have read your blog a lot and you are super encourageing and have great talent! I found your blog on Pecan Pastures, McKenzie's sister Madeline is one of my friends. Your books all sound wonderful! Have you published any?I am praying for you, and hoping your book turns out just how God means it to be. A Sister in Christ- Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Abby! Nice to meet you! I'm so glad you left a comment! :)
    McKenzie and Madeline are such sweet girls!
    No... I haven't published any of my books yet, but I'm going to someday. :D Hopefully someday soon. :) I appreciate the prayers!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope you are having an absolutely wonderful day. :)

Please remember to keep your thoughts and remarks kind and pleasing in the sight of our Lord.

I would encourage you to sign your name to your comments... otherwise it might not be published.

If you have a question you would like to ask me, feel free to leave me your email address - it will not be published - and I will try to answer or help as best as I can. :)

Sometimes it takes me a little while to get back to you... but I do try and reply when I get a comment. :D

Love & Blessings!
~ Julia ~