Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I'm Thankful for Good Health

This is my post for day 2 of the 30 Days of Thankfulness Challenge - hop over to Rachel's blog to see the other posts for today! :)

I have been spending the past few days flat on my back. Literally. On Monday morning, I was throwing the frisbee around with my brother Mark when he threw the frisbee into the woods and I had to trek down the hill to retrieve it. My neck was cold, so I flipped my coat hood over my head as I walked downhill, flipping my ponytail over my face in the process. This made me look like some kind of monster with four feet of hair hanging in front of my face, and as I brought the frisbee back up to the driveway I hunched over, hair swinging, and extended my arms like a monster and said "Rahhhrr." to Mark, making him laugh.

I straightened back up and flipped my hair back again after the joke was over and went back to throwing the frisbee. The next pass Mark made to me was over my head, and I reached up to catch the frisbee with both hands. When I brought my arms down again, something popped in my back at the base of my neck and pain shot down my spine.  Owwww. I'd thrown out my neck.

I've had this happen to me a couple of times. Usually it's after I've spent a week or so hunched over an especially demanding project like beading or crochet. (In this case, crochet) without taking enough breaks to stretch.

Anyways... I've been on my back for the past 2 days, staring up at the ceiling, wishing I was anywhere but in a prostrate position.


This has brought a fresh gratefulness that I do not have to live every day of my life like this. I have the use of my body and limbs and I'm not bound to a wheelchair or hospital bed by a disease or paralysis. I'm sure my neck/back will loosen up soon and I'll be all back to normal - in fact, I'm already starting to improve. This blog post is evidence that I was able to sit up for about 25 minutes. :D


I am so thankful for good health. I take it so much for granted the rest of the time when I'm not ill or injured. I forget to be grateful that I'm pretty much in perfect working order. This little bout of sharp twinges in my neck and shoulder has reminded me that the rest of the time... I'm healthy. And I thank God for that. :)


Looking forward to the rest of the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. I know how that can be. A couple of years ago my neck got cold while I was sleeping so I was stuck with my shoulder slightly up and my head slightly facing left. If I tried to move my head right I would get a spasm so the only thing that I could do was lie on the couch for about 4 or 5 days. In that time I found every possible pattern in our ceiling tiles. :)

    Praise God that you are better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! This, as in your challenge to post something you are thankful for once a day for a month. And yeah, couldn't agree more about being thankful for good health. It's definitely something i know i take for granted!
    Hope you can be up and moving around soon! So sorry to hear of your ailment!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope you are having an absolutely wonderful day. :)

Please remember to keep your thoughts and remarks kind and pleasing in the sight of our Lord.

I would encourage you to sign your name to your comments... otherwise it might not be published.

If you have a question you would like to ask me, feel free to leave me your email address - it will not be published - and I will try to answer or help as best as I can. :)

Sometimes it takes me a little while to get back to you... but I do try and reply when I get a comment. :D

Love & Blessings!
~ Julia ~