Monday, September 14, 2009

Post-a-Day #14

Yesterday we went to our homechurch and had an excellent time fellowshipping with our wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ.



What I thought was really neat was that the family hosting was just building their new house next door to the garage/pool house that they had been staying in, and the plywood and framing and roof was up but uncovered - so they had each of us church members take a sharpie and write scripture all over their walls!

I thought it was such a wonderful idea, and after everyone was done it was really neat to walk around and see the words from the Bible all over the place. Some were especially fitting...

(I'm sorry, but I'm just going to paraphrase with the ones that I can't remember the reference for...)

"Forget not mine instruction, my son" - this was written by the father of the household over his son's closet entrance.

Psalms 121:8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore. - this was on the floor right before the front door. (my dad wrote that one)

Above the pantry door I wrote Matthew 6:20-21 "But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Have you ever done something similar for your house or another house? What are some special ways you make a house meaningful to you?

7 comments:

  1. Very neat idea! We have never done anything like that. Thanks for posting about it!
    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and fun idea! How nice to know that when they finish the building, that God's word is covering it! :D What a blessing!

    We had our house built, and we had a book that was signed with prayers and thoughts and things in it from all our friends and family and the people who helped us build our house. :) it's a habitat house, which means that it is built by volunteers and built with donated materials. I can't remember if we have done a post on that or not! HaHa! We should though if we haven't! ;)

    Blessings!
    ~Rachel~

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Julia, what a neat thing! Building the foundation of their house with Scripture :) Very cool.

    I love the idea of "making a house a home" and that kind of thing...it's in my blood. :) My Mom is very much like this too, much more than me even, and loves to make people feel special and cared about. It's a gift, really -- and she's good at it! :) But at any rate, one of her awesome ideas that we plan on doing very soon is this: a "Fellowship Wall of Fame". For us, we plan on using the inside of our front and side doors, but you could use a wall, a chalkboard, a window frame, a table, or just about anything! But what we want to do is print a whole bunch of pictures off our computer (over time) and put them up (maybe papier mache??), plastering them all over our door! Pictures of all our friends, all our guests that end up over here -- take pictures of the activities going on, candid shots, and put them all up so people can be on the "Fellowship Wall of Fame". :) Not everybody would like this idea probably, but we're really looking forward to tackling this project! :)

    Thanks for sharing that awesome idea!

    Blessings,
    ~Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful!!! And what a blessing to the family - every time they look at the pantry, or the son's bedroom, or wherever else, they'll have Biblical reminders!!

    About 4 months ago we re-did the basement in our church, and they let us go free with Sharpies all over the beams and rafters! We did a very similar thing! Families signed (with dates), people wrote scriptures and inside jokes, and a friend and I covered one entire beam with stuff about turtles, just to be random. It makes it so personal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have been there to write as well! That was so cool :).

    By the way, I posted my comment on #15 before seeing this. So this kind of counts toward how much you love your church family ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    That is so nice you got to participate in writing scripture in that family's house.

    My family did something similar to that when we moved into our house, 5 years ago. Many of the rooms needed to be re-painted, so we wrote verses on the walls, and they were covered up later when we painted.

    Have a Great Day!
    ~ Tarissa

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope you are having an absolutely wonderful day. :)

Please remember to keep your thoughts and remarks kind and pleasing in the sight of our Lord.

I would encourage you to sign your name to your comments... otherwise it might not be published.

If you have a question you would like to ask me, feel free to leave me your email address - it will not be published - and I will try to answer or help as best as I can. :)

Sometimes it takes me a little while to get back to you... but I do try and reply when I get a comment. :D

Love & Blessings!
~ Julia ~